Thursday, August 25, 2005

Shocking Realization

My 83 year old mother is in a hospital in Iowa recovering from hip replacement surgery after she fell on steps while visiting my Aunt Regina. I called my mom at the hospital today and Regina answered the phone, sounding just as clear and confident as any 91 year old I have ever heard. I asked her how my mom was doing and she said "She's having trouble going to the bathroom, so the doctors are teaching her a method of getting it done." "Oh," I said.

"It's something like -- uh, have you ever had an enema?" asked my Aunt Regina.

"No, I haven't."

"Oh, you haven't?" she said. I could her my mother say something in the background.
"Your mother says you have had an enema -- when you were a child."

"Really?" I said. "I don't remember."

I think I changed the subject at that point and eventually talked with my mom and determined that she had been too well-medicated for a real conversation right then.

Anyway. This is the new information I'm dealing with this morning. I think it's funny, but I can't quite explain why. It might have something to do with the ridiculous unexpectedness of it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lance Mannion said...

Funny story. Be glad you don't remember any enemas. I hope your mother heals quickly.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home